Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Why...

Do you ever wonder why? I'm sure you do, but I've been wondering about a different "why." We started The Pursuit in December of 2003 in our home. We began with a clear picture in my head of what our Sunday service would look like when we were "grown up." I am glad to say that what we are currently doing fits in with what I imagined, but it is way better than I could have dreamed. The team of talented people that God has put around me has been such a blessing.

So the question I've been struggling with thanks to the Drive Conference at Northpoint is, why did I have that picture in my head? More importantly, why have we never really questioned the validity of deviating from it? I'm not saying that we need to, but what bothers me is that we've never really asked the question. Why wouldn't we?

What would happen to our services if we put everything on the table? What if we questioned every assumption about why we do things the way that we do? What would change? What wouldn't? I'm not sure, but I do know that our mission is too important to not rigorously evaluate everything. The people we are trying to reach are too important to not do the hard work to make sure that what we are doing is actually bringing them closer to following Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment